Now you can get a proof of age card that doesn’t ask you to identify as male or female

Do you identify as non-binary? Now you can apply for a proof of age card without having to state your gender.

My ID Card recently changed its application form and provides a non-gender specific proof of age card for those who identify as pangender, intergender, androgyne, genderfluid, agender or any other non-binary group. My ID Card is an official, PASS-accredited proof of age card that’s fully endorsed by the Home Office and The Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO).

A positive change for everyone

The change has been introduced following a recent request from the father of a teenager who is non-binary. Keith Farnish was frustrated that other ID card providers asked for gender or a gendered prefix such as Mr/Miss/Mrs/Ms on their application form, and that this might appear on the card itself, possibly alienating non-binary individuals. Mx – the preferred title of some non-binary people – is not commonly offered as an option.

Gender boxes have now been removed from the My ID Card application form in order to become more inclusive and gender does not appear on the proof of age card itself.

Speaking in a recent interview with Buzzfeed, Farnish said:

“I was pleasantly surprised and impressed that [My ID Card was] able to do that so quickly. And they listened! There was no question; it was literally just, ‘Sure, let’s do it.’

“And I think that’s where these things can change – it only takes one person to ask.”

Farnish wants to see this change happen more widely; allowing non-binary people access to official ID without being forced to choose one of two gender identities.

“There are trans people who might not want to come out and who aren’t out to their parents, and it puts them in a difficult position because effectively they’re going to have to either deny who they are or be forced to come out because of things like this.

“If companies or organisations are more responsive then it can be very beneficial for people who are in a difficult position. Why should you be Mr/Miss/Mrs/Ms? Why not just get rid of them entirely?”

Affordable, convenient and safe

My ID Card is easy to apply for and it only costs £15. It can be used as proof of age by people over the age of 16, 17, or 18 to get into pubs or clubs, to buy cigarettes, alcohol, scratch cards and other age-restricted products, as well to get pierced or tattooed.

Like any proof of age card, you will need to provide several forms of evidence with the application form to verify your age and name, such as a passport or birth certificate. But once you have My ID Card, it fits handily into your wallet so you won’t need to carry around those other forms of ID, which could cost time and money to replace if lost or stolen. Best of all, My ID card lets you prove your age – and who you really are.

If you’re looking for a proof of age card that doesn’t show your gender, apply for My ID Card today.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *